2012 - I had Vertical Sleeve Gastric Surgery in October 2012, and this is my journey to push the fat girl aside and start living life without fear of lawn chairs, the middle seat, clothing shops and high heels. Among other things.

2017 - I'm preop for the Duodenal Switch procedure for my sleeve to help me get to goal weight....and to fix another hiatal hernia.


Friday, November 1, 2013

October 2013 Recap

The numbers for October:

Sept 30 - 238.6
Oct 1 – 239
Oct 2 – 239.6
Oct 3 – 239.8
Oct 4 - 238.4
Oct 5 - 240.2
Oct 6 - 238.2
Oct 7 - 238
Oct 8 - 238.2
Oct 9 - 239
Oct 10 - 237.6
Oct 11 - 238.8
Oct 12 - 238.6
Oct 13 - 236.4 **new low
Oct 14 - 237.6
Oct 15 - 237.2
Oct 16 - 238.4
Oct 17 - 238.2
Oct 18 - 237
Oct 19 - 236.4
Oct 20 - 236.6
Oct 21 - 236.8
Oct 22 - 238
Oct 23 - 238.8
Oct 28 - 239.6
Oct 29 - 239.0
Oct 30 - 239.0
Oct 31 - 239.0


Total gained in September: +0.04lbs
Total Lost: 62


 
Despite the “poor” finish, I am really pleased with the kind of progress that I had over the month. 
 
I’ve touched down at an all new low, and in general feel that I’m working on a trend that is getting me lower.  It’s not fast, but it’s there.   I need to get some new winter pants – all my summer pants are getting droopy.  I don’t think that I’m down a full size yet from my 18’s to 16’s, but I’m close!  The jeans I’m wearing today… are loose in the waist straight out of the drier - that’s a clear sign I’m altering my size.

I got my new driver’s license yesterday in the mail – new address and since I’m not a US citizen, I have to go in and renew everything in person. The only bonus was that I got a new picture.  I don’t post pictures of my face… for reasons…(I don’t want to be identified, I hate my nose (it’s been broken five times and is quite crooked) and it’s not my best feature for sure and frankly, there are probably more fat-creepers looking at the pictures on my blog than people who are interested in weight loss, WLS etc. So if you really want to see it – send me an email!)

ANYWAY!   The difference was shocking.  SHOCKING.  I look distorted - misshapen.   I think that the biggest difference that I’ve noticed in my life since WLS is that I finally feel like a human again. 
 
When I was at my heaviest (for the last year before surgery, I honestly felt like a monster, I didn’t fit into the world, I felt horrible, I looked like a walking dumpling.  There was nothing feminine left about me. I struggled to do everything – was concerned about where I sat, would I fit, would my belly hang out and touch people, could I get into this booth and still breath and eat?  Really important that I eat.

I spent last weekend with some people at a festival. Most of them had not seen me in a year or more.  I was sad to see that a few of my friends from this had gained all the weight that I’ve lost (and some).  They were, of course, very keen to hear about what I was doing and how I had lost the weight.  For every suggestion: more protein, smaller portion, smaller plates to eat off of, no drinking while eating, ditch the soda: I was met with a barrage of excuses. 

One of the ladies - while I was telling her the basics - finished an entire bag of caramel-bacon popcorn (yes, you read that right), including creating the perfect funnel from the mouth of the bag so that she could tip all the crumbs out of the bag into her mouth.  A technique I am quite familiar with.  
 
It was an  extreme mirror moment.  I lived like that for so MANY years – losing weight is too hard, too this, too that - I like soda, I could never give up X or Y.  They said all the things that I have argued myself. 

Surgery was the jumping off point - I knew that I couldn't do it myself.  Surgery was like getting shoved out of an airplane at 30,000 feet.  My job is to pull the cord.  I might be falling, but I still some control over the choices to make.  I can pull the cord and learn to glide, or I can free-fall back into the life I had before and blame it on the people that pushed me out the door.

Its been a full year and I can honestly say that I'm still learning. I've changed, I've grown (mentally) and shrunk physically.  Its been hard, I've cried, I've loved it, I've hated it.  But I have changed in many substantical ways and I wouldn't have it any other way.  

Halloween:  I bought candy that I hate.  I threw away the last 10 pieces when we finally closed up last night.  Things that would NEVER have happened before.  I would have bought 2x more of mini chocolates, eaten them all, and gone back for more “for the kids”.  Throwing candy in the garbage last night was one of the most incredible feelings.  I stood over the can and thought, “This is something that I wouldn’t never have believed I would have done”.

Feels Great!  I'm excited about life again. 
 
 

 

3 comments:

  1. So glad you are feeling good about the current trend. Feeling positive even after minor setbacks is a huge help in the overall weight-loss effort!

    Your conversations with friends at the festival are very interesting, especially that clear vision of your own old habits and excuses. Good for you for recognizing and rejecting them now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tamzin, I feel the very same way about so many things you said above. Friends who need help--they can't even hear the suggestions. A person has to be receptive to the suggestions. I also feel totally different about myself. Part of feeling more prettier and things like that is that--we really are better looking with that weight off. Yesterday, I saw someone I hadn't seen for over 10 years, and she said I look just as young as 10 years ago! Well, that is the weight off. I'm glad you're so happy with yourself. Dumping the candy is a great sign of your growth and where you are heading. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a really great reflection. And although you feel bad for the people from your past that are making excuses for themselves, you feel good about yourself for finally overcoming those excuses and moving on with your life. That's great. And what a great feeling to feel excited about life again! I remember going through a dark time before my surgery where I really wasn't excited about much of anything....so glad that has changed.

    ReplyDelete