2012 - I had Vertical Sleeve Gastric Surgery in October 2012, and this is my journey to push the fat girl aside and start living life without fear of lawn chairs, the middle seat, clothing shops and high heels. Among other things.

2017 - I'm preop for the Duodenal Switch procedure for my sleeve to help me get to goal weight....and to fix another hiatal hernia.


Thursday, October 26, 2017

Vitamins and Minerals

I have been REALLY bad at taking my vitamins.  That will have to stop now that I'm going to a malabsorption method of WLS, the Duodenal Switch.  I will lose 8feet of my 10ft of small intestine and so I will be at risk of vitamin and mineral deficiency.


Today I buckled down and bought all the recommended bariatric Vit&Min:
Multi with extra ADEK - 1 dose
Iron + C   - 18mg
B-50 complex
Calcium Citrate - 1800-2400mg (although I REALLY love milk products, so I might be okay on the lower end of this one).


The calcium and Iron need to be taken at different times from one another, so I'll have to put that in the rotation.


I also bought some protein chicken soup from Celebrate.  I struggled with my VSG in 2012 in getting enough protein daily in my liquids and soft phase. I want to try and eat more protein laden foods and lay off the puddings and jello pops.


Other than that, I'm on an eating approx. every 2 hours.
7am - coffee & premier protein shake
9am - decaf coffee and premier protein
11am - 1c cottage cheese
1pm - 1c fat free milk & package of oatmeal or cream of wheat
3pm - 1c cottage cheese
5:30/6pm - minced beef stew or broth with mushy peas
8pm - skyr and fatfree/no sugar jello


This is my "pre-full-liquids" liquids week.  I'm trying to wean myself off of caffeine right now, so down to a single shot in the morning from my 3-4 shots a day.


Next week (Oct 31) I will be full liquids and there will be no more cottage cheese and beef mince at night. 


I've weighed in at 248 for the last three days... I'm hoping to see some good news on the scale tomorrow morning to get some motivation back into this.  I watched a portion of the surgery again last night and I know that I need to buckle down and get this done.  I thought that I could lose 20lbs by the 7th, but I think I will be lucky to see 10lbs.


12 days to go to surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment